- Dopamine (D2 receptor) antagonist)
- Hence, used as a prokinetic
- Increased esophageal peristaltic amplitude
- Increased lower esophageal sphincter pressure
- Enhanced gastric emptying.
- No effect on small intestine/colonic activity
- Pro-kinetic in ICU
- Anti-emetic (due to central D2 receptor blockade)
- However, because of its D2 receptor blockade, it has CNS effects
- Extra-pyramidal side effects
- Tardive dyskinesia
- Elevated prolactin levels will cause galactorrhea, impotence and gynecomastia.